Thursday, September 3, 2015

You win some, you lose some

Tyler was out of town this week, in Chicago for a work meeting.  Whenever he is gone, I try to get the big annoying but necessary tasks of being an adult out of the way.  This week was no different.

So, yesterday morning I woke up, determined to get through my extensive and adultish to-do list, which included getting a Washington State driver's license, changing my last name at Social Security, driving to Ikea to get a new slipcover for our chair that the kitty shredded to bits, and attack the wedding Thank You notes.

First up: The Washington State Licensing Office.  I arrived quickly, parked in front of the door, and walked up to the entrance....where I was greeted by a line of 25 people in front of me.  Being from Massachusetts, when I see a long line before me to obtain a license, I assume I will spend no less than 2 hours waiting in it.  But alas, Washington is a highly efficient place, and I was in and out in under 30 minutes - temporary license in hand (emblazoned with my new moniker and a mildly attractive photo, might I add). 

New photo is not nearly as good as the old.
But a girl can't win the license lottery twice in a row
can she?

Next up, off to the Social Security office to change my name.  I've heard horror stories from my married girlfriends who endured hours of waiting to change their name, despite having scheduled an appointment ahead of time.  I was winging it, and went without an appointment. The office was 1.1 miles from the licensing office, and as I walked in, I braced myself to wait.  But I breezed in, greeted by a security guard who showed me to the check-in machine.  I got my ticket and before I could sit my butt down in the waiting room, my number was called.  I told the agent what I needed.  She took a look at my marriage license and old ss card and punched in some information on her keyboard.  Next thing I knew, I was walking out.  I wasn't in there for more than 10 minutes.  It was like magic. 

Feeling pretty good about my luck,  I hopped back into my station wagon and headed to Ikea to get a slip cover. About 15 minutes into my drive, as I rolled through a green light, I  heard it.  That unmistakable clippety-clappity sound of a flat tire.

Um, what!!?? I pulled over to a safe shoulder area, put my flashers on and got out to take a look.  Flat as a damned pancake.  Without panic, I pulled out my trusty AAA card and called for roadside assistance. After figuring out where I was (thanks Siri), the nice lady told me that roadside service would be out to save me in 2 hours.  Totally bummed by the wait time, I hung up the phone and noticed that dark rain clouds were quickly moving in,  the gas gauge was teetering on empty and that I really needed to pee.

 Not the safest spot to change a tire myself (nor am I positive
I could change it myself, since I haven't done it since my
dad taught me how to 18 years ago when I learned to drive)
  

 After texting a friend about my biological predicament, I heeded her advice and ventured out into the woods to pee, before the rain really got going.  After stumbling down the cliff, I found a spot hidden from view of the passing cars.  I  dropped trou, squatted and got going.


 Now, here I am, with my bare bottom mere inches from the ground, when a 2 foot long garden snake slithered by.  Normally, I would not feel the least bit threatened.  I see these guys in our yard 3-5 times a day. They are completely harmless.  However, being in such a compromised position, I needed to decide whether to keep going or to run off with unfinished business.  I kept going...afterall, I am now a licensed Pacific Northwesterner. Peeing outside in the rain with snakes is totally normal.

The rate at which this day took a turn for the worse gave me whiplash. As I made it back to the car, the down-pour started. Once safe inside my disabled Passat, Facebook, Instagram and texting about the snake made the time pass rather painlessly.  But it was now 1:30 pm.  I only had a vitamix smoothie and giant coffee for breakfast (probably why I had to pee so badly) and was now STARVING. I was stranded on a busy and narrow highway overpass, in the rain, far from anywhere with food. I rifled through my purse to no avail, moving on to the glove box.  It was there that I found a candy lone cane.  Unsure of it's origins, I peeled the wrapper and started to enjoy it, as if I hadn't seen food in a week.  Of course, I had to take a selfie with my new found snack....just as the Kirkland WA fire department had parked behind me ( mortifying).
How's that for survival skills!

Yup, why wouldn't I selfie with my candy-cane? #boredom


From the big red truck emerged 3 of Kirkland's finest, eager to help .  I told them that AAA was on the way, but they insisted on at least getting my tire started.  They blocked traffic, and began to get the tire off.  When the spare emerged from my trunk, I remembered that Tyler had warned me of a giant bubble months back before leaving Chicago (I should really start paying attention to this kind of stuff).  The kind firemen insisted that I go DIRECTLY to  a tire store and get it replaced immediately. After they made the switch, they  followed me to the nearest shop for repair. Seriously, people, hug the fire fighters in your life,  they are amazing!

(note: I did not take photos of the firefighters who change my tire. I felt it would be tacky/lame, sorry Candice)

Two new tires and an alignment later, I was still starved, but no worse for thew wear.  The tire store was, like everything else in Washington:  kind, efficient and pleasant.  A quick snack stop and I was finally back en route to Ikea.

Finally I made it to Ikea (4 1/2 hours later, and a few hundred dollars poorer).  I quickly found my slip cover and headed home for dinner with my In-Laws, and a quiet evening of making peach ice cream in my Vitamix and praying that the cat doesn't ruin the new slip cover. 

Some days are great.  Some days totally suck.  Some days are both.  But that's life: A lumpy blend of productivity, happy surprises, inconveniences, being saved by the kindness of others, and yes, getting caught with your pants down.

Happy driving!
xoxo,
Bee

2 comments:

  1. " I dropped trou, squatted and got going.” OK. That line has made my weekend. You made a girly cappuccino in the woods (in Oz, we call it bush). I’m sorry, Melissa - you can organise 60 people for a crazy week of training but you can’t change a tyre? Mr. Chow not happy, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa hahaa I love your blog, please keep writing 😊 Gabo.

    ReplyDelete