Monday, July 21, 2014

Sea Salted


Mmmmmm....I love salt.
I put it on everything, even bread & butter.
My best friend once threatened to get me a salt-lick for my birthday...like a horse.
I have been know to keep salt shakers stashed in my desk at work.
For Christmas last year, I received 3 types of salt, from 3 separate people.
I rocked a Morton's Salt Girl costume for Halloween (see above).
I keep salt packets in my purse for seasoning emergencies.
I named my blog after it.

A year ago when Ty and I were cooking together in his kitchen for the first time, I came across a ziplock baggie of white granulated powder. When I asked him what it was, he said "Oh, that is the sea salt that my Grandma and I made in Alaska a couple weeks ago". I knew that he was perfect for me... I also knew that if I ever went to Alaska I wanted to assist in making some salty goodness too. So we did, and it was awesome!

Step 1:
Take a boat ride waaaay out into pristine salted waters.
Right about here is good.
 LeConte Bay
Step 2:
Collect salt water.  
Warning it's REALLY COLD (dunking hand will begin to numb).

Our very technical water collecting vessels
Step 3:
Pour the salt water into a large pot through a very fine strainer.  Bring to a boil and evaporate about half of the water out, and then reduce heat to a fast simmer. Continue evaporating for 5-6 hours, stirring it frequently, until reduced to a wet paste (careful not to scorch it!).  Put the paste in a flat pyrex dish, spread in a thin layer on the bottom.  Put in the oven at 170 degrees until dry. 

Step 4:
ENJOY THE SALT!

*Special thanks to Polly Lee for teaching me her salt-making method*

Happy seasoning!
Bee



















No comments:

Post a Comment