Friday, July 11, 2014

Alaska: the last American frontier...

Raven's Roost Trail, Petersburg, AK

Last week, Ty and I went to Alaska to spend part of our summer vacation on Mitkof Island to visit his family and enjoy the great outdoors. I was thrilled to see the place that meant so much to him (and that he had been telling me about since the day we met).  I knew it was going to be cool, but I had no idea HOW cool.

At times it was other-worldly,wild, and at others it was peacefully familiar. It felt like childhood and retirement happening simultaneously. The landscape changes so quickly there: from green rain-forest covered hills that ascend to jagged snow-capped mountain tops, to rural American small-town that trails off to a quiet babbling river slough, to straight-up National Geographic wildlife documentary.

We saw eagles a plenty, sea lions, salmon spawning, baby seals playing on icebergs, moose, deer, and thankfully, no bear. The most exciting for me was seeing the humpback whales. I believe my reaction when spotting them was "WHALE TAIL! WHALE TAIL! WHALE TAIL!"

Needless to say I found my jaw dropping in awe more times than not..I mean, hello, have you seen the color of an iceberg??!! All of this magic combined with happy memories made with Ty, and it ended up being a trip I'll never forget!
GINORMOUS iceberg in LeConte Bay

Iceberg remains at Indian Point, AK

LeConte Glacier, I assure you the photo does this no justice...taken 2 miles away

This was so unreal, I was convinced we'd floated onto another planet

Snow-melt waterfalls everywhere

Sea Lion Motel - these guys are LOUD

Pink cloud hovering over the water. Unreal.

Sunday Perfection - Canoeing, picnicking, bridge jumping and swimming.

Sunset at 10:30 pm

Float houses on the Stikine River near Wrangell, AK

Double waterfalls in LeConte Bay

Eagles, no big deal...

Small town Americana...doesn't this truck look like Mater from 'Cars'?

National Forest Service Cabin at Raven's Roost, incredible vistas and cozy spot

Selfie in front of the glacier...too bad you can't see it

Trying my best to keep warm....layers for days!

4th of July shenanigans - look at the size of that halibut!

I loved the gigantic skunk cabbage leaves...perfect shelter from the rain for a little elf like me

On the Stikine River, the US Canadian border is visible on the mountain behind us

The king of beers for America's Birthday

Petersburg 4th Parade- adorable

Check me out on Instagram for more photos and videos from the Alaskan leg of our great American Summer Vacation in the Pacific Northwest.  I loved it because there was so much to DO.  Hiking, biking, boating, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, wildlife sightings, trail running, eating, exploring...a true adventure. If you've never considered an Alaskan vacation, reconsider. It's AMAZING!

Happy traveling!
Bee



2 comments:

  1. OMG your pictures are amazing! My favorite is the truck, but it all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have a total weakness for old trucks...luckily so does Tyler, so he doesn't think I'm nuts when I make him turn the car around to photograph them!

      Delete