Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Banana Creme Trifles for the 4th!!

I have been putting together this semi-homemade trifle-esque dessert for the 4th of July since I was in college. It is not organic. It is not particularly healthy.  It is a hybrid of my Aunt Joanne's infamous ambrosia recipe and my Aunt Jackie's banana creme pie.  It is amazingly delicious.

Originally, I made this in a rectangular pyrex dish (flag shaped).  But last year, with my mason jar obsession in full-swing, I decided to put them in there!

Banana Creme Stars & Stripes Recipe:
2 boxes of instant banana pudding (prepare per instructions on the box)
2 cool-whip containers
3 large just ripe bananas
1 pint of strawberries (for pyrex shape, get 2)
1 pint of blueberries
angel food cake, pound cake or lady fingers
(I usually buy them made...because I want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time in the sun!)

Assembly:
Make and allow pudding to set and let the cool-whip defrost. Line the bottom of the mason jars (or the pyrex) with cake (cut to fit). Next add a thin layer of banana pudding topped with a layer of banana slices.  On top of banana slice layer add a layer of cool whip. Repeat making sure cool whip is your top layer.  Now to decorate!

In mason jars:
Wash berries.  Hull and cut strawberries into thin little lines and place as stripes across the top of the whipped topping. Blueberries in the top left quadrant



In pyrex:
Because it is a larger surface, I slice the strawberries normally (so they look almost like little hearts). Lay the blueberries in the top left corner (one by one is best, so they look orderly and don't mess up your whipped top). Then lay strawberry slices across the dish in stripes.

This is an awesome treat to make with the kids too!


Put it back in the fridge and remove 5 minutes before serving!

Happy Birthday America!
-Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment