Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The bookshelf diaries...



For months now, as I envisioned our finished apartment in my mind, I had one missing mental image.  The bookshelf.  Now, I found a bunch of stunning pieces, but they were over-priced and too polished for the relaxed look of our home. On the other hand,  I could've gone to Ikea. While I normally covet the clean simplicity of the brand's minimalism, I knew I wanted something with more character than they could offer.

So, I informed my better-half, that HE would build our bookcase...using vintage wooden crates, as seen on Pinterest. This gauzy, filtered image looked like a dream to me and I was imagining a room  inhabited with these crates, it was full of light and hope...and I was drooling at the prospect.  "LOOK!" I shouted at  him, "Look at all that character! And it's so easy!" Next thing I knew, he loved the idea too.

Source: Pinterest

The following week, we went to the Randolph Street Market and scoured the vendor tents for crates.  Unfortunately the only vendor who had them was charging upwards of $50 each, as they were "rare" crates.  Deflated, we left without crates. But, we parked next to a warehouse that was selling pallets for $5 each.  We bought 4 and my handy-man made us a one-of-a-kind rustic bookshelf!
The pile of pallets before....
During Construction.....





Serious organizing requires serious coffee
Tip: Before you hit the shelves, arrange piles of  books on the floor.
  I chose color coding, but I also love the idea of organizing by genre (like a mini-library)! 
Once he finished building, it was time to organize and beautify. I spent the morning stacking books, arranging curiosities and treasures that we have collected. It was the most fun! Check out my decorating tips below...

Ahoy! Anchors are always a bright idea...

Tip: Bookcases don't only have to hold books!
Old-fashion spools of twine and a curious little magnifying glass
add interest, while framed photos add a personal touch to the vignette.

Genius: built in electronics slots in the bottom corner to keep
these necessary eye-sores neat and tidy (just how I like 'em)

Tip: Remember the scale of knick-knacks.
Family heirlooms look great when they are placed appropriately.

Tip: Vary the sized of your decorative items to add depth.
The smaller side shelf holding our newly acquired lantern.
#homegoodshappy


Tip: Bookcases are a great platform for displaying collections.
Our beach-combing treasures are a lovely compliment to the
 unfinished look of the case.


Tip: Keep pretty books on display so guests can flip through them.


No comments:

Post a Comment