Monday, June 16, 2014

Home-Cooked Dog Food...


Did you know that I have the best dog, like, ever?

Her name is Mae, she is 9 years old, and a Gemini. She is sweet and patient and funny. Enjoys sniffing everything, long runs on the beach and even longer hikes in the woods. Some days, I find myself staring at her, thinking that I have the best looking dog, on earth. I also know that every dog owner out there thinks the same of their pup. 

As we all know, there is some horrifying reading material on the current condition of our food system available on the internet. Armed with this knowledge, I have been carefully selecting foods that are whole, clean and as local as possible for years now. Since the move, I have been packing Tyler's lunches for work, and making our breakfasts and dinners from scratch. We dine out considerably less than average American couples too, and I subsist on a mostly plant based diet...you'll have to pry the cheese and ice cream from my cold dead hands, I'm not giving it up, sorry! I still make some lean meats and fish, but I happily pay more for the comfort of knowing where it comes from (and that it's not hiding toxic antibiotics).

Then it hit me:  If our household is committed to eating clean food, why then, are we still feeding the dog, who we adore, dry pellets of fillers and unknowns? So, I decided to start feeding her better too.  But it wasn't as simple as I assumed.  I figured brown rice, lots of chicken and egg would be just the ticket. She loved it (way more than the kibble) and was wagging all the way to the kitchen each morning.  After a few days, though, I noticed that she seemed sluggish.  My worry brought me to the internet once again, where I started to research. Turns out that she needed a LOT more nutrition than I was giving her. Calcium, vitamins, minerals, complex carbs, omega 3s ...woah!  

So, after a lot of reading, I came up with the balanced recipe below. Using my savvy shopping skills (Thanks Mom), and magical Trader Joe's, I managed to get everything I needed in one spot. It cost me only $30.26 in groceries and 45 min of prep and cooking time. It yields enough dog food for a month. However, just to be on the safe side,  I still mix in a small handful of  the designer grain-free organic dog food that costs $50 a bag. But, what used to last me 2 weeks, now lasts over 2 months. I estimate that I now spend $45 a month on dog food and treats. A considerable savings.

Mae's Super Food:
3 cups dry brown rice ( I cook mine in sodium free organic beef broth using a rice cooker)
16 oz bag frozen peas
16 oz bag frozen kale
16 oz bag wild frozen blueberries
1/2 doz large brown omega-3 eggs (hard boiled, shells saved)
3.5 lbs all natural chicken drumsticks (baked in 400 degree oven for 30 min)
2 lbs all natural (no hormone) ground beef (browned in a pan)
3 lbs of sweet potatoes (cut, boiled and mashed with skin on)

Once everything has cooked and cooled and you have mashed or chopped it down - mix it all together evenly, including the egg shells (grind with mortar and pestle). Pack and freeze in one week sized containers.


*****Please, if your dog has food allergies, problems with their weight or any other health concerns, consult your vet before changing your dog's diet.  Like people, each dog's health and nutritional needs vary, and it's better to be well informed than have a sick puppy. *****

Cheers,
Bee

Egg shells - a nutritional POWERHOUSE, full of calcium and protein
We humans may hate that shell crunch, but dogs don't mind.
 Afterall, they do lick the floor!

Simple preparations that anyone can do -
chopping, boiling, roasting & browning

The food critic, hoping for falling morsels. 

Clockwise from left corner: hard boiled eggs, brown rice & peas,
ground beef with kale and blueberries, mashed sweet potatoes


The finished product packed into freezer containers.
Keep refrigerated or frozen



1 comment: