Monday, August 4, 2014

Fashion Jungle vs Bargain Hunter

I am embarrassed to admit how much time I spend each day drooling over glossy photos on Instagram and Fashion Blogs.  As I scroll through one fabulous outfit after another, I fantasize about the day when I too have my fabulous designer friends gifting me exquisite leather handbags emblazoned in gold thread with my monogram.  And then...I wake up.

While I am positive that I was, indeed, Born To Shop, I also know that I am not made of money (learned that the hard way...). But this doesn't mean that I can't rock an effortlessly stylish outfit that even the most fabulous bloggers would appreciate. Anyone can for that matter.  It just takes patience, a creative eye and knowing where to look. Hunting the fashion jungle, if you will.

A few tips to dress like you've got money while spending like you don't:

By always shopping a few weeks before the end of a retail season, you'll  score great sale items before everyone else picks them over. Remember, fashion retail switches seasons about a month before the calendar does.  If you can't find your size, don't be afraid to have a sales associate call another store for you.

TJ Maxx + Marshall's - Look for fabulous handbags, sunglasses, shoes at these amazing stores. I can't say enough about my love for these stores (and their sister-store, Home Goods, too).

Spend money on the classics (just not too much) because you can never go wrong with good fit and eternal style. White & blue jeans, chambray & oxford shirts, skinny black ankle pants, layering tees, lady-like cardigans, tall boots and prep-school blazers...all things I religiously buy at  J. Crew and Gap...because they do it best. I try it on in the store first, then wait to buy online during a store-wide sale...helloooo 30% off!

Trendy items - The best way to get the most up-to-the-minute trends without maxing out your credit card, is to shop at retailers like: Forever 21, Old Navy and Zara.  These brands are always up to speed, and their lesser quality items can easily be mixed in with your high-end staples. This will keep you looking like a million bucks!

One woman's trash can be your treasure! - Consignment and thrift shops are sometimes tedious, but, you can usually score awesome stuff if you take the time to treasure hunt (make sure you're in the mood and wear slip-on shoes).  Most consignment shops have automatic markdowns too, so you can get even better deals.

The great unkown: YOUR CLOSET - that's right ladies, go in there, deep in the back or all the way up on that highest shelf.  I guarantee you'll find something that you forgot you owned...something that didn't fit properly...something you haven't worn in years.  Try it on, see if there is a small modification that can make it better...a belt, cutting it down, hemming, changing the straps? Easy DIY alterations or inexpensive tailoring can give new life to items you already own!

Sweater - Old Navy $17, Pants- J. Crew via Second Time Around $6,
Pearls - Forever 21 $5, Shoes- Cole Haan via TJ Maxx $39,
Bag - Pretty Ships via Nordstrom $80


Tunic top - J. Crew Sale $29, Cutoffs- Citizens of Humanity
 (I cut themfrom baggy thrift store jeans) $5,
 Necklace - DIY leather cord ($4 at Michael's) Anthro pendant
$6, Bag- Pretty Ships via Nordstrom $80

Chambray Shirt (I wear this EVERYDAY) - J. Crew $60 sale, Peasant Top-
Forever 21 $11, Bag - Target $7 (clearance), Jeans - Pilcro for Anthropologie
$70 (end of season sale), Sunglasses - Kate Spade via TJ Maxx - $25
Happy hunting!
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment