Friday, August 8, 2014

Packing...

Since I've always traveled a lot for work and pleasure, one would assume that I would have this "packing light" thing down to a science.  And I most certainly do...I pack very lightly when traveling to, say, Target, or Starbucks. All I take is my giant purse (that weighs 15 lbs). Even for a weekend trip I can keep it to a carry-on size, barely, but I manage.

However, when we are talking about a 10-day business trip or a week long jaunt back East....I do not pack lightly. I tried it a couple of times earlier this summer (I didn't want the boyfriend to think he's got a hoarding high maintenance girl). I packed only what I NEEDED.  Skipping those extras that I take just in case ...we go swimming, or it gets unseasonably cold, or I spill tomato sauce all over myself... 

You know what? It was a big mistake. I had to constantly do laundry (annoying when you're a house-guest), there was no variety (lame), and I was missing important stuff like a swim suit + a warm enough layer to see a glacier (holy cold). Going without or wasting valuable adventure time shopping, was less fun than packing a few extras in my suitcase (that was already being checked anyhow). 

So, here are my pro tips for "Ready for anything" packing:

#1 - Make a list...ALWAYS:
I write a comprehensive list for both personal and business travel.  I organize what I'll need to pack in order of outfits. That way I am never missing coordinating shoes or...*ahem*, the appropriate undergarments... 
Take the list with you too. It helps remind you 'what sweater goes with that dress' when you're in a hurry for that early business meeting!

If this seems very neurotic to you, I know... and maybe it is. But, when you're lost in greater Cleveland racing around in a rental car looking for Dillard's an hour before a rehearsal dinner, because your friend didn't have the shoes she needed, you don't look so neurotic, you look prepared!

In the spirit of preparation I recommend always pack an extra 2-3 layering tops in case of spills, extra few pairs of socks/undies in case you don't have access to laundry, an extra sweater in case it gets cold (like my Momma always said), and an extra "nice outfit" in case fancy plans spontaneously present themselves...




#2 - Don't procrastinate:
Do you like rushing? Do you like packing at the zero hour only to realize that you're out of deodorant and don't have time to stop at CVS before your flight?  I don't...which is why I am always packed for a trip at least 2 days in advance, leaving me time to grab last minute necessities before departure.

This doesn't mean that I love to pack. Getting the suitcases down from the front hall closet, laying clothes out in piles....total chore for me.  Which is why I end up playing dress-up in my closet for an hour. Trying on all of your dresses is wicked fun....more fun than packing anyhow...see?


seriously, don't leave me alone in my closet...all sorts of weird


#3 Pack neatly:
You have kept your clothes neat and clean and hung in your closet... so don't mess them all up by haphazardly tossing them into your suitcase! If you pack deliberately you'll always know where you packed stuff for quick retrieval.

Fold and put larger flat items on the bottom of piles with smaller ones on top (like a pyramid) so the pile is less likely to topple in transit. Shoes should always go in a separate pocket or in shoe bags, because you don't want all those street cooties on your clean clothes. 


Undergarments and smaller items stay neat and organized inside of felt bags (I use the ones that come with handbags and shoes because I have them).


Toiletries should all go into a zipper kit to keep from spilling and ruining your clothes and shoes in transit (Target has REALLY cute ones for under $10) 


Jewelry, electronics (+ their chargers), cash, prescriptions and all other valuables, obviously, should be carried onto the plane and stay on you at all times. But so should a book /magazine (we should all put the smart phone down more) and a healthy snack (airports are expensive and airlines don't feed us anymore, and nobody got time to be hangry).


#5 When in doubt:
I am not a light packer, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know how to edit my packing. You probably won't need a back-up ball-gown, or 3 pairs of cowboy boots....but if you think you may want that second pair of blue jeans...pack them. Baggy t shirt to wear around the hotel room, go for it! When in doubt, ask yourself if you will be really uncomfortable, bummed or under-dressed if you leave an item behind. If not, then it stays home.  If so, it's in the bag!


Happy travels!

xoxo,
Bee




No comments:

Post a Comment