Monday, November 9, 2015

Healthy Eating


I do my best to eat healthy and work out at least 4 times a week. But I am easily distracted from my best intentions.  Especially when travelling for work.  Conference Centers tend to inundate the senses with their constant flow of mediocre breakfast pastries,  gummy bears and salty chips.  And I don't always jump at the chance to work-out.  I have rather lazy tendencies.

However, with our looming honeymoon on the horizon, I am suddenly committed to looking and feeling my best by mid-January (with Thanksgiving and Christmas between now and then, it's shitty timing to say the least...I love me some hot buttered rum, extra gravy and pie).  Teeny Brazilian Bikinis, here I come.

So for 3 weeks now I have been (mostly) eating super healthy: lots of lean fish, whole grains and fruits and veggies by the pound.  I've only cheated a couple of times (warm doughnut the other morning, glass of wine with dinner).  I feel great, I am sleeping so well (probably the lack of processed sugar and fat in my belly) and even my energy level is up!  It's awesome, no major weight loss yet, but clothed are fitting better and that's a great place to start .

I am not trying to give a nutritional lesson, preach about the benefits of healthy eating or anything like that.  Just sharing what my conscious effort to be healthier and fitter looks like. 

Thanks to Trader Joe's, eating healthy organic produce doesn't even cost a fortune!!! 




A typical grocery haul - canned beans & tomatoes - whole wheat pasta & flat bread, quinoa, wild rice, fresh veggies, dark berries, organic sprouted tofu, organic eggs, nuts (usually walnuts, almonds, pecans), squashes, tons of greens and of course Extra Virgin Olive Oil, fresh herbs and lemons for seasoning! Not shown - organic free range chicken and wild caught halibut and cod.
Typical meals ideas (all super simple, easy and quick to make)
I adore avocado toast.  It is simply toasted whole wheat bread, Smashed avocado, a drizzle of olive oil,
salt & pepper and lately I have been really into sundried tomatoes (from TJs)

I usually have it with my morning coffee and a side of fresh fruit

Ancient Grain Oatmeal (from TJs) is another fave.  It takes 3 minutes to cook, and topped with nuts and fruit makes a
filling and soul warming breakfast to keep me running until lunch time!
Lunches tend to be rushed so I make sure to keep cooked quinoa and wild rice in the fridge
Also, fresh herbs like mint, parsley, cilantro and basil are great to add a ton of flavor without adding calories
This is my favorite lunch bowl inspired by Sweet Green - tofu, quinoa, arugula, peppers, tomatoes
chic peas, olive oil, salt pepper, lemon & fresh herbs galore!

Again, the brown rice already cooked makes this hearty healthy lunch so fast - in a pan with
a tsp olive oil heat up 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup black beans, handful each of tomatoes and bell peppers,
Salt pepper, lemon, a dash of hot sauce and cilantro - 5 minutes to fab!


For Dinners I like to make filling salads a couple of times a week (Ty actually enjoys these, most of the time)
Here is one, with roasted sweet potatoes (I usually cook 4-5 at a time because they take so long to cook)
Arugula, Chic Peas, Peppers, Tomatoes, Cucumbers and walnuts.  Serve it all with whole grain bread
and homemade tzaziki for dipping
 (nonfat greek organic yogurt, olive oil, garlic, tons of fresh dill, cracked pepper and lemon)

On nights when I have more time to cook we have a more civilized meal like this one:
Fresh Halibut baked over onions in lemon juice and olive oil, seasoned with salt & pepper
Brown rice pilaf, and roasted brussel sprouts with apple cider vinegar and maple 
My best tips for keeping up a healthy diet:
1. Keep healthy foods on hand and plan ahead so you can eat quickly on busy days
2. Keep unhealthy foods out of the house/office so you don't succumb to temptation
3. If you eat something unhealthy, start over!
4. Water Water Water Water!

Healthy eating and happy living!
xoxo Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment