Monday, November 2, 2015

From Small space to Sanctuary

So we moved into our charming little mountain guest house back in May, and I had big plans for our bedroom (sight unseen). Plans that included adding a headboard and small seating area, a fun wall color perhaps? Maybe a pair of patterned benches at the foot of the bed, distressed wide board floors and definitely our signature gallery wall.  Something straight out of my pinterest dreams...

cue dream sequence....ahhhhhh






All that was before we moved in and I saw that we have precisely enough space for 1 queen sized bed, 2 nightstands (one rather teeny nightstand, in order to allow the closet door to open all the way), and a narrow dresser (which I affectionately refer to as the toe-stubber).  After much editing, I am very happy with the cozy space created.  Especially the witty accents and no-fuss style, perfect for newlyweds on-the-go.

Since winters are dark and dreary up here, and the window is further shaded by the carport, the room lacks the natural brightness that I crave. To compensate, I used light, airy colors (white, dove gray, natural beige).

For decor and furniture, I used only items that we already owned (hooray for free!).  My only purchases were a new frame for our giant wedding photo (HomeGoods $12.99), kraft paper initials for the gallery wall ($4.25 each from Michael's), and a simple white linen curtain and rod for privacy- our bedroom door is glass ($22.59 total from Target).

Here is how it all came together...

I am a total sucker for mid century modern dressers + gallery walls.
Tips for creating your own gallery wall - stick to a color scheme - randomize frame placement - mix up art,
with personal pics, letterpress prints and landscape photography - add an animal head, license plate, sea life or other
non framed decal for a central focal point.

Detail from our witty little whale sheets - West Elm

Neutral and Natural colors.
My nightstand -again mixed textured frames + pretty perfume bottles and vintage crochet doillie


Shelves (Threshold by Target) re-purposed from our Chicago apartment guest-room. I love these simple floating
displays, filled with little pieces of my mom, our wedding and sea shells.

White +Gray
West Elm Whale sheets + HomeGoods Throw Pillow + Target Duvet
Normally, I adore duvet covers and how quickly they can change up the look of a room. We have 4 or 5 of them.
 Right now, though, I am digging the soft gray of our naked duvet - for now anyhow!


Perfect spot for our city maps :)

Adding some personal touches - Sonal Shah original illustration for our engagement last year, and
Taj Chin Photography's best work from our wedding ceremony

Man things= rocks, sea life, penny collection, antique keepsake boxes and globe
Happy decorating :)

xoxo Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment