Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Fall Frolicking...

This past weekend, following a long week away on a business trip, Ty and I hosted our first annual "Fall Frolic" Party.

Let me preface with this: I love the concept of having an annual themed party...the kind  that become a tradition for years and years to come.  My friends Ashley and Alex started their Labor Day White Party the first year they were married, guests decked out in all white, snacking on white foods and sipping on magnums of champagne. And my In-Laws throw a Winter Solstice party on the Friday before Christmas every year with a HUUUGE bonfire and hot buttered rum . I look forward to both of these parties every year, because they are just good old fashioned fun and any excuse to throw a party is fine by me!

One afternoon on a late summers day, as I was mowing the lawn (I love the ride-on-mower!) I decided that the potato patch would be the perfect spot for an amazing party (Potato Patch: a narrow area of lawn on the back of the property, hidden from view of the houses, surrounded by cedar and maple trees and incidentally, used to be an actual potato patch about a decade ago) . Fall seemed like the perfect season, since the leaves would be in their prime, and the chilly nights would be perfect for a bonfire. And we all  know that October is the best month of Fall.

 I loved the idea of stringing up a million twinkle lights, using the old tractor as a buffet and sitting around the fire drinking bourbon with friends wrapped in cozy blankets.  My darling sweet husband, eager to humor my obsession with entertaining, did so much to make this party look exactly as I imagined it.  He deserves a medal :)

For invitations, the simplest way to get the word out to guests was to use Paperless Post...they have hundreds of witty, beautiful and tasteful e-invitations.  Check them out if you haven't already!


Because I wanted to keep the aesthetic of the party Autumnal, and not Halloween-ish, I avoided using too much orange/black in the party design, which is tough to do just weeks before Halloween. Luckily Target had these gorgeously understated copper paper plates and napkins, along with polka dotted paper straws. 


I popped into HomeGoods for a large mason jar style beverage dispenser, and while I was there I stumbled on these GORGEOUS Cynthia Rowley Home cutting boards (3 different sizes, oval shaped with copper handle, all for just $40!!!!). These boards, combined with my wooden bowls and white bone platters would look fantastic.


I went a bit overboard on the menu-- as usual.  I can't help it though, I am half Italian, afterall.  It's our genetic instinct to make too much food and force feed people. Anyhow, we served some new recipes that I created as well as some old seasonal favorites.  Since it was dinner time, I wanted to make sure guests wouldn't go hungry.  But I also didn't want to be stuck in the kitchen the whole day. Here's what we had:
~Fall Frolic Menu~
Pumpkin & Pear Soup
BBQ Chicken & Cilantro Calzone
Artisinal Cheeses garnished with Strawberries, Charcuterie & Baguette
Veggies & Kettle chips with french onion dip
Soft baked pretzels with mustard
Local apples with caramel dip
Fall candies



This BBQ Chicken Calzone was a HUUUGE HIT - and super simple to make!
1 pack of Trader Joe's heat n' serve BBQ pulled chicken, Trader Joe's Pizza Dough,
1 red bell pepper diced, 1 cup each shredded mozzarella and cheddar, handful
chopped cilantro, Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ sauce.  Stretch the dough, layer cheese,
chicken, peppers, cilantro down the center of the dough, drizzle with BBQ sauce, fold into 3rds
close up the ends, bake at 400 degrees for about 25 min, until dough is golden, slice and serve hot

In addition to platters, I used pine branches, vine maple leaves (from the ground), eucalyptus (from Trader Joe's), round tree cuts from the wood shed, a found antler, 2 pieces of gilded burlap fabric, and we turned our pumpkins into lanterns by carving them out and drilling holes all over them.  They looked adorable!




For the bar, I made a mulled bourbon cider (great mulling spices from Pike Place Market, 2 gallons of  local Cider and of course, Maker's Mark).  We also had a selection of seasonal brews and IPAs.  This little potting table from Goodwill made the perfect bar, with space to hold cups, straws, bottle openers and coozies, and a galvanized metal bin perfect for icing down beers!

Katy, my father-in-law's 1940's working tractor and trailer made the perfect buffet/centerpiece for the evening 

Mae and some friends enjoying the bonfire.
Party attire! Military Red Original Hunter Boots,  Paige Denim Jeans, J Crew Flannel, J Crew Vest, a side braid and, of course, a fur pom -pom hat (not shown, red cable knit from C. Wonder)!

Simple stump benches, Adirondack chairs and a cozy array of throw blankets to keep cozy around the fire.


The soundtrack was a  mix of Spirit Family Reunion, Ray LaMontagne, Nathaniel Rateliff, Gary Clark Jr and JD McPherson. Perfect sounds for bonfires and bourbon :)


Unfortunately, I was busy enjoying myself, and didn't get any party action shots for this post...we had a great time, and I was really happy with how the party looked. 

Happy frolicking!!!!

xoxo,
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment