Wednesday, November 26, 2014

How to stay warm this winter (without looking like a marshmallow)



So, the crisp and glorious fall days have gone, and we're left with weather that could make a penguin shiver.  Not to mention that winter doesn't even start for another month! "Wait your turn, sir!"

Despite my feeble attempts to boycott winter temps and snow flurries, it seems that Mother Nature doesn't give a shit that she has shortened my season of beloved vests and light jackets.  So I gave in. I pulled out all of the winter gear and wear it.  If you find yourself shivering and in need of some warmth-spiration, look no further!

COATS:
My best friend told me that the key element of a good warm coat is that it covers your butt.  She is always right, so I traded my short puffers for a longer down coat.  I must say, this was life changing...and here I was thinking that you lose heat from your head!  Anyhow, here are two of my faves, 

This one  from Sam Edelman is perfect for everyday casual looks, especially on weekends:
Sam Edelman, retails for $199, Found at TJ Maxx for $112

This one from J Crew is so warm and versatile, wear it to work, for a night on the town, or dress it down for a casual look. I love the toggles and multi pocket detailing as well as the zip off hood!
J. Crew - Last season, retailed for $395, on-sale last January for just $120!

SCARVES:
Scarves are both decorative and functional (which is how I like to think of myself).  By choosing soft thick fabrics like wool, cashmere and cotton, your neck and face are sure to stay toasty on the most horrid of days.  Just make sure to get some in fun colors and patterns (like Fair Isle and Plaid, bonus points for critter designs) to avoid the winter blahhhs!
Left to right: Me2 Reindeer scarf, Banana Republic (old) green plaid
scarf, Gap (old) blue and grey flannel scarf, Pink Pineapple Shop
plaid blanket scarf (available at pinkpineappleshop.com)
HATS:
Honestly, if you asked me 5 years ago I would've told you I hate winter hats.  They look dumb and mess up your hair.  Boy, I was wrong (so very wrong). They keep so much warmth in, and they are, in fact, adorable. Pom-poms, cable knit, trapper flaps and sweet warm goodness!
Left to right: Patagonia Fleece Beanie, C Wonder Orange Pom,
Gap Cable-knit taupe pom hat, Patagonia fleece aqua hat
Center: 1/2 of a Best Friends hat set from Nordstrom
BOOTS:
Just like winter hats, I used to think snow boots were for kids and for shoveling only., and that they were never stylish.  That was until I met the Sorel Joan of Arctic boots.  Now I know how happy your feet can be, while looking cute too!  Other must haves in my arsenal of warmth are the ever controversial Shearling boot (mine are EMUs) and the Hunter rain boot with fleece liners.  Ready for anything!
Left to right: Sorel Joan of Arctic boots (I added my own red laces),  Hunter
Rain Boots in Green with Hunter's white fleece liners, Emu Stinger High Boot
in Chestnut

GLOVES:
I alllllllways lose my gloves, get my gloves dirty, rip my gloves, etc...I find them balled up like socks in the strangest places months later.  For this reason., I buy nothing but $2.00 knit gloves (with iphone touchscreen compatible finger tips) from Target.  I get a whole bunch and by New Year's I have one raggedy pair left.  They are warm,  machine washable, come in tons of colors, cheap, fit almost every hand size, and you don't feel bad when you lose them.  

For really cold days, I like to wear them underneath a pair of cute hand-knit mittens.  I am still on the hunt for the perfect pair...these I found on etsy could be just the ticket!

Stay warm out there everybody!
Cheers,
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment