Friday, May 30, 2014

For the love of eating...

 I am told that as a baby I spent quite a bit of time playing with carrots in a vegetable box on the  floor of a legendary Harvard Square eatery kitchen. You see, my father was the head chef, and surely I was kept a safe distance from open flames and falling knives until my mother was able to get me after work.

Questionable parenting tactics aside (Kidding, I love you guys), this is the root of my obsession with food. Making it, eating it, thinking about it, photographing it, using it to make friends...

Usually, quite healthy and simple, my recipes are easy to make and full of fresh, in season ingredients. Beware though, I have been known to use butter and cheese freely, because, hell, you only live once! Each week I will give you a recipe from my kitchen that got a rave review from my CTO (chief tasting officer, Ty).

This week's recipe is Soy-Marinated Bison Flank Steak & Salad
Mmmmmm, give it a try and if you enjoy it, leave a comment and let me know how it went!



1.5 lbs bison flank steak
 (you can definitely use beef here, I just like the tender and lean meat of bison better…and it was on sale at Whole Foods)
¼ cup organic soy sauce
¼ cup good extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
Juice of 1.5 lemons
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Big handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
A sprinkle of sea salt and fresh black pepper

Marinate for 4-6 hours

Wash and pat dry a half pint of grape tomatoes.  Toss in olive oil and salt. Put in oven at 330 for 45 min (until wilty), remove and let cool to room temp

To cook steak:
Heat a large flat non-stick pan to high heat
Drain the marinade and pat the steak dry with paper towel
Sear for 2 min and turn down the heat to med-high
Only flip once, sear on both sides for about 5 min (use a meat therm to check temp in the thickest part of steak…130degrees for med-rare
(you can also do this on the grill, same prep)
Remove from the pan and let rest for 10 min before slicing to seal in the juices

Toss a mix of arugula, baby kale and cilantro in a drizzle of lemon, olive oil and S&P
Top with gorgonzola crumbles, oven roasted tomatoes.


Slice the steak, serve with salad on top and a chunk of fresh warm baguette

Cheers,
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment